2020/2021 Company Auditions
July 24, 2020
Auditions for our 2020/2021 season, have been scheduled for Sunday August 16. The schedule for the day is below:
9:00-10:00am Jazz/Acro Audition
10:15- 11:15am Ballet Audition
11:30-12:30pm Tap Audition
12:45-1:45pm Hip Hop Audition
2:00-2:45pm CREW Audition
3:00-4:00pm Recreational Performance Team Audition
2020/2021 Season Updates
July 23, 2020
1. Class sizes are smaller
We have measured each studio room and have determined how many students we can safely have in each class. With this in mind, class sizes are smaller and therefore, registration is limited. Unfortunately, because of the strict guidelines set forth by the government, there is no flexibility on the number we can have in each room. We encourage you to register early to avoid disappointment.
2. Physical distancing in and around the studio
Further to class size, you can expect the studio to look a little different in the fall. All floors and barres will be taped with dedicated spaces to help guide our dancers and make them aware of their limits so we remain safely apart. You will notice decals on the floor and walls to guide traffic in/out of the studios.
3. Breaks in between classes
You may also notice that there are 15 min breaks in the schedule in between classes. This is to allow for less traffic moving in and out of each studio as well as cleaning time in between each class so each group of students are entering a sanitized studio.
4. Classes are running 7 days a week
In order to accommodate the smaller class sizes, we have had to extend our schedule across 7 days rather than 6. For certain high demand classes, you will find more options in the schedule. If registration exceeds the class sizes allotted, we will continue to build in more options for you wherever possible. We appreciate your flexibility in this regard.
5. Boys promotion
In light of the impact that COVID 19 has had on our business, we will be making a few changes to our ‘boys dance free’ promotion. For the 20/21 Season, boys will get their first class in their first season of dancing with us at 50% off. We continue to be thrilled at the number of boys participating in our dance community. We are committed to making sure that boys dance too!
6. Reserving your spot in class
All company students have been placed in their classes for next season, including ballet and technique classes. You will notice when you check out that you will be paying the registration fee ($30) along with your September tuition upfront (rather than a deposit). This means that your next payment will not be due until October 1, 2020. Please make sure you complete your check out in order to ensure your spot in class is reserved. While you won’t encounter this often, if a class is full (such as a recreational class), please add your name to the waiting list. This will help me to determine where we need additional options. We are pleased to tell you that tuition prices and our company cap have not increased since last season.
2020-2021 Company Auditions
June 17, 2020
Do you want to join the company program? Are you currently a part of the company program and want to audition for additional disciplines?
Audition dates are TBA pending the guidelines for group gatherings in the coming weeks. We anticipate groups will be small so, multiple audition dates will be offered to accommodate this structure.
Register for Company Auditions under the ‘Competitive Auditions for 20/21‘ link by July 1, 2020. The cost per discipline is $15.00.
Summer Dance Experience 2020 is going VIRTUAL!
June 16, 2020
Each camp day will include the same quality dance instruction you would expect along with games & crafts to keep your dancer busy.
BDC will provide a ‘craft box’, available for curbside pick up at the studio in advance of your camp week so you have everything you need at home and do not need to purchase any supplies.
Each camp week with culminate with a themed ‘virtual showcase’. Throughout the week, we will film segments which will be edited together into a short movie that will be broadcast on the last day of camp and sent to each family as a keepsake!
Snack and lunch breaks will be built into the day as before to give your dancer time away from the screen.
Note: if it appears we can reopen by the time we reach our camp dates, we may revise the plan slightly to offer a hybrid version or full in person camp option (following strict guidelines and social distancing measures set forth by the ministry of health).
Click on ‘REGISTER‘ on the home page.
We continue to keep your safety at the top of our priority list and hope that you will stick with us as we adapt to new ways of dancing together.
Company Tune Up 2020
June 15, 2020
Registration for Company Tune Up 2020 is now live!
Company tune up is a mandatory dance opportunity for all competitive students. Currently, tune up will be offered on a virtual basis. However, the intention is to offer some in-studio options should the provincial guidelines allow.
Registration for tune up can be completed HERE.
BDC CREW & Recreational Performance Team
June 14, 2020
BDC CREW will specialize in hip hop, and as such will have different requirements than our current Hip Hop Company Dancers.
Regular stream company dancers can also participate in this program. However, the schedule requirements and focus for this discipline will be slightly re-designed. Stay tuned for more information coming soon.
In addition to this, we are excited to be introducing a ‘Recreational Performance Team‘ opportunity. This program is geared for the recreational student who wants to take their experience up a notch, but perhaps doesn’t want the time commitment that goes along with being a full time competitive dancer. It might also be of interest to a competitive student who would like to cut back on their schedule but still wants an enhanced involvement. The Performance Team will not compete, but rather spend their season performing at community events in and around Burlington, as well as (and most importantly!) as part of That’s Entertainment 2021
June 13, 2020
BDC is currently looking for new maintenance person for the upcoming season. Typically, this person is responsible for handyman type jobs like repainting, repairs etc. We like to offer this position to current clients to offset some of the costs associated with competitive dance. If this is of interest, please send an email with “maintenance person” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Online Classes begin May 1!
April 28, 2020
1. That’s Entertainment 2020 That’s Entertainment 2020 has been moved to June 29 & 30. However, with the rapidly changing timelines we realize this may not be realistic and that there is a possibility we will not be having a recital this year at all. As of right now, the show is still scheduled to go on; however, with every week this continues, the probability we will be returning to the studio in enough time to prepare becomes less and less likely. We promise to keep you informed as things progress and we have more clarity on timelines as they pertain to our season.
2. Ticket Sales Tickets will NOT go on sale Sunday, April 19th as listed in our ‘dates to remember’ or for that matter until we are certain ‘That’s Entertainment 2020’ is moving forward as planned.
3. Costumes We have heard from some of you inquiring about what will happen with the costumes that have been paid for and ordered should the recital not move ahead as scheduled. Unfortunately, once the costumes have been started and deposits been paid, we can not return them to the costume companies/designers. At this point in the season, all the costumes are at this stage of the game. Many costumes have been delivered and fitted while others are en route. While we can not refund money paid, we will ensure you get the costume you paid for. We understand that in some cases, a refund would be preferable, however, we have made a commitment to these companies who have completed orders on our behalf. We remain hopeful that the costumes will be utilized. Those families with a balance owing should have received an email from us to arrange payment. You can always check your balance by clicking ‘costume deposit’ on our homepage.
3. Online Classes at BDC! We are excited to share that we have made the decision to pivot to a new mode of delivery for our classes! We hope you have been enjoying the online content we have created over the past several weeks, but we thought it might be time to jump into the world of ‘online classes’ in order to give our students a more interactive experience. We have spent a great deal of time discussing the many ways to approach this and have decided to offer a ‘new’ online schedule of class options covering as many ages/levels as possible. The schedule for May is intentionally broad- it will be our ‘pilot’ month to see where the demand lies. As we move through May, we will assess and discuss what is working (and what is not) in order to make decisions about what happens in June (should we not be not be back in the studio). Of course, all classes will be designed to accommodate small spaces, and make sure our dancers are moving safely, but more importantly- will be completely OPTIONAL. Upon reflecting on whether or not our current class schedule could work online, we felt that due to space constraints and the nature of many classes (ie: the objective being to rehearse group choreography), we couldn’t offer you an equivalent service to what you would expect in the studio. With this in mind, the classes offered will be geared at keeping the students moving and engaged in order to bridge the gap between now and when we return to regular in studio classes. Registration is now open. Click on the ‘register’ button on our homepage in order to view the schedule and sign up. Class fees will not follow our regular fee schedule and will be offered at a reduced rate. As this way of offering classes is brand new to us, we will be taking the remainder of April to troubleshoot and do some test runs so the process is as smooth as possible once the students join in. Online classes will begin on Friday, May 1st.
As we all know, the unpredictable nature of this circumstance is pushing us all to adapt quickly to things we never thought would be our reality. Here at BDC, we want you to know that we understand that every family is dealing with their own unique situation, and that the new online classes may not be suitable for you at this time, and that’s ok. Mostly, we want to remain connected with you, our valued customers, and let you know that we are passionately committed to getting back into the studio when it’s safe for all of us to do so. We continue to take things day by day, week by week and make decisions according to the best practices advised by the experts. We want to thank you for the overwhelming support; your positive messages are valued and appreciated now, more than ever.
March 16, 2020
In an effort to keep the health and safety of our dance families as a top priority, regrettably, we have made the difficult decision to close the studio from March 23- April 5th. In light of this, we will be extending our season by two weeks in June in order to make up for this loss.
We will continue to carefully monitor the situation and will communicate with you as we approach April 6 regarding any further decisions. Thank you for your continued support and understanding. We look forward to welcoming you back to BDC very soon.